Noticing that when you browse there are tons more advertisements on the pages you visit? Maybe there are more pop-ups, banners to questionable sites, and underlined key-words that promise coupons? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you’ve been infected with the Browser Shop virus. Oh joy.
- The web pages you visit have way more banner advertisements than they should.
- Random words in the body of text of sites have been turned into hyperlinks that display ads when the cursor pauses over them.
- Pop-ups that tell you your computer is infected, recommend fake updates, or offers software for download.
- Other adware programs are installed without your permission.
How Did This Happen to Me?
Tsk, tsk. You’ve not been careful downloading things off the internet and one of the things you downloaded installed the Browser Shop without telling you. Common suspects are Cnet, Softonic, and other third party installers.
You should always make sure to check all the programs that will be installed when you download software. The Browser Shop is usually set up as an optional install. Always select custom installation and deselect anything you don’t recognize.
Enough! Tell Me How To Get Rid of It!
Alright! Alright! Follow these easy steps.
Step 1: Uninstall Browser Shop from your computer.
- Access your CONTROL PANEL.
- Click UNINSTALL A PROGRAM option, under the PROGRAMS category.
- Scroll through the installed programs and find the Browser Shop program.
- Uninstall the Browser Shop program.
Fun Fact: For a faster search of the most recently installed programs, click on the INSTALLED ON column to sort your programs by the date it was installed.
Can’t find Browser Shop? It might be installed under a different name. If you can’t find it, try using Revo Uninstaller to remove it.
Step 2: Remove the “Ads by Browser Shop” virus from your browser(s) = Internet Explorer, Firefox. Google Chrome.
- Google Chrome: Click on CHROME MENU on the toolbar.
- Click on TOOLS, then on EXTENSIONS.
- In EXTENSIONS, remove Browser Ad by clicking the trash can icon.
- Mozilla Firefox: reset the settings by clicking on the menu button in the upper right hand corner of the Firefox window.
- Click on HELP, choose “Troubleshooting Information.”
- Click RESET FIREFOX (upper right corner).
- Click RESET FIREFOX in the new window that will appear.
- Firefox should close itself and revert to original settings. Click FINISH.
- Internet Explorer: reset the settings by clicking on the icon that looks like a gear, it’s in the upper right hand part of the browser.
- Click on INTERNET OPTIONS.
- Click on ADVANCED, then hit RESET.
- In the RESET option, click DELETE PERSONAL SETTINGS, click the RESET button
- Click CLOSE, close down your browser and open it. The ads should be gone.
Step 3: Be Thorough! Remove the Browser Shop adware from your browser(s) using AdwCleaner.
- Download AdwCleaner here.
- Close all programs and browsers.
- Run AdwCleaner. Hit SCAN.
- The program will locate malicious programs, including Browser Shop. Once it’s done, hit the CLEAN button.
- The program will need to reboot your computer, hit OK.
Step 4: Be super duper thorough! Remove the “Ads by Browser Shop” virus from your computer with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.
Fun fact: This program detects and removes malware (worms, Trojans, rootkits, rogues, dialers, spyware)
- Download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware here.
- Install and run MalwareBytes.
- Malwarebytes will start automatically, once installed.
- Start a system scan by clicking on FIX NOW
- It will check for updates. If needed, hit UPDATE NOW.
- Once the scan is completed, it will give you list of detected malware. Click on QUARANTINE ALL. The click on APPLY NOW.
- If it needs to reboot your computer, allow it to do so.
- After your computer restarts, open Malwarebytes and initiate another THREAT SCAN.
Fun fact: While you are in the PROGRAMS list, check if you have any of these programs:
- Discount Cow, V-bates, PriceMeter, Supra Savings, weDownload Manager, PureLead, Search Assist, Re-Markable, Zombie Alert, Wajam, Coupon Server, Lollipop, HD-Total-Plus, BlockAndSurf, Safe Saver, SupTab, Search Protect, Lollipop, Software Updated Version, DP1815, Video Player, Convert Files for Free, Plus-HD 1.3, BetterSurf, Trusted Web, PassShow, LyricsBuddy-1, PureLeads, Media Player 1.1, RRSavings, Feven Pro 1.2, Websteroids, Savings Bull, TidyNetwork, Search Snacks, MyPC Backup, Re-markit
If you do, you should uninstall all these because they are all malware, viruses, and adware. You’re welcome!